i started this project on sunday night at 8 pm and had 7 batches (colors) to get done. this was poor planning, which is classically what i do, since every batch needs at least an hour to soak and ends with its own go in the washer and dryer i was setting myself up for a late night. so i got kind of sloppy and rushed for the sake of being done and going to bed. typical.
i had 2 bowls in the sink, 2 in jesse's bathtub and 3 in mine. it was crazy town
definitely had some hits and misses. the entire green batch was a miss. i realized the color was lighter than i thought but its so blah that i am gonna get a bolder color and do them over. i also learned that you need to dye things a darker color than they are to begin with. so even though the old pastel blue stuff seemed light, it didn't convert to pink as well as it did to purple. also i needed to put less items in the bowls (or get larger bowls/buckets) to achieve more even dyeing and avoid the veined tie-dye look that some of my stuff ended up with.
i am really happy how most of the stuff ended up and now have a bunch of bold, bright blank canvases to work from that cost me nothing!
the next night i used some felt that i had bought a long time ago and wanted to hand stitch a little design onto one of the purple onesies. i learned that hand stitching is not my strong suit and it turned out wonky, but i still love it because she will be in it and out-cute my mistakes.that onesie was plain and pale faded yellow before. i love the way the purple came out on it and the fact that the polyester thread didn't absorb the dye so the contrast stitching is still there.
one day of her life dressed. tens of thousands to go.